"I am beginning to suspect all elaborate and special systems of education. They seem to me to be built upon the supposition that every child is a kind of idiot who must be taught to think. Whereas, if the child is left to himself, he will think more and better, if less showily. Let him go and come freely, let him touch real things and combine his impressions for himself, instead of sitting indoors at a little round table, while a sweet-voiced teacher suggests that he build a stone wall with his wooden blocks, or make a rainbow out of strips of coloured paper, or plant straw trees in bead flower-pots. Such teaching fills the mind with artificial associations that must be got rid of, before the child can develop independent ideas out of actual experience." -- Anne Sullivan

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Not One Day at a Time

"How's homeschooling going?"

That's the most common question I'm getting these days. Most of the time, it's from a family member or friend who is genuinely interested and is asking the question to be encouraging. But, every now and then, I can tell the question is being asked suspiciously, and the asker is waiting for me to admit colossal failure.I answer the question honestly (which right now is, "good but we're still trying to iron out some wrinkles").Then I usually get some more questions about curriculum, which is code for "are you really doing anything?"

Unlike most things in life, homeschooling ISN'T something you take one day at a time. To truly understand and appreciate it, you need to see the big picture. Gracie might not learn a new math concept every single day. It's not about that. It's about the process, about who she will be and what she will know in ten YEARS, not ten months.

It's like watching your kids grow. My parents live in Virginia, and when they come to visit after five months, they say " Oh my goodness, I can't believe how much the kids grew!". But I was with them every day, and didn't notice they had grown. I fed them nutritious food, and made sure they got exercise and rest. I knew they were growing, but I didn't see it happening.

One day I will wake up and say, "Oh my goodness, I can't believe how much the kids know!" because I was with them every day, and didn't notice how much they had learned. I "fed" them, made sure they "exercised" and even "rested". I knew they were learning, even if I didn't see it happening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment