"I am beginning to suspect all elaborate and special systems of education. They seem to me to be built upon the supposition that every child is a kind of idiot who must be taught to think. Whereas, if the child is left to himself, he will think more and better, if less showily. Let him go and come freely, let him touch real things and combine his impressions for himself, instead of sitting indoors at a little round table, while a sweet-voiced teacher suggests that he build a stone wall with his wooden blocks, or make a rainbow out of strips of coloured paper, or plant straw trees in bead flower-pots. Such teaching fills the mind with artificial associations that must be got rid of, before the child can develop independent ideas out of actual experience." -- Anne Sullivan

Friday, September 30, 2011

Momma's New Toy

Before I had kids, I worked at a preschool for four years. It was a really nice set-up, complete with an office housing full-sized copy and laminating machines. Those years spoiled me. The lightning fast copies, the kid's adorable crafts nicely laminated to last throughout antiquity. *Sigh*... waiting three minutes for one page to copy off my printer is torture- and Gracie has made so many nice crafts, but I find the edges torn and creased a few months later. Some women dream of expensive purses or spa days. I dream of office equipment.

Which is why, when I found this little beauty, I new I had to have it. Not for Christmas. Not for my birthday.                                                                 

                                                NOW                                                            
                                                                                

It's a small laminating machine. I picked it up at BJ's for about $22 and have already laminated the crap out of half the stuff in my house.

We use it mostly for our timeline pieces- it keeps the tape from tearing them when you reposition them.

                                                                                         
And it is super handy for laminating cute craft projects, especially when you want them to hold up for a while.


                                                                     (Gracie's)    

                                                                          (Caleb's)

I love it so much I sit around all day and try to think of new things to laminate... recipe cards? bookmarks? baby booties?  the cat?

Now all I need is a copy machine. They're a little more than $22, so maybe Santa will bring me one.
                

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I think if I had a laminating machine, I would make placemats....maybe with pictures of the family, or Bible verses, or coloring sheets of BIble stories. It might be a great way to teach during meal times!

    ReplyDelete