"I am beginning to suspect all elaborate and special systems of education. They seem to me to be built upon the supposition that every child is a kind of idiot who must be taught to think. Whereas, if the child is left to himself, he will think more and better, if less showily. Let him go and come freely, let him touch real things and combine his impressions for himself, instead of sitting indoors at a little round table, while a sweet-voiced teacher suggests that he build a stone wall with his wooden blocks, or make a rainbow out of strips of coloured paper, or plant straw trees in bead flower-pots. Such teaching fills the mind with artificial associations that must be got rid of, before the child can develop independent ideas out of actual experience." -- Anne Sullivan

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Growing Thankful Hearts

If there's one thing I really want to ingrain upon my kids, it's a spirit of thankfulness. There's so much materialism and consumerism in our society that it's easy to become discontent. Every time we turn on the TV, we're bombarded with new toys and products we can't live without. Every five minutes a new phone or game system or whatever comes out and the one you have is obsolete.

I really, truly think of my family as wealthy. We don't have the newest car and I don't even own a cell phone. We don't eat out every week and we don't plan on taking the kids to Disney anytime soon. But we have plenty of food. We live in a comfortable house. Everyone has shoes that fit. We never miss a bill. My kids have toys exploding out of their closets and will get a few more when Christmas rolls around. We are doing great, and I want to make sure my kids- and I- appreciate it. I want to make sure we always remember all these good things are from God.

So this past week being Thanksgiving, I used the time to focus on our blessings, or as Caleb would call them, "bressin's".  It wasn't an original idea, but we put up a "Thankfulness Tree". Just like a tree grows from a seed, I wanted to plant seeds of thankfulness in their hearts, nourish them, and watch them grow.

         It was really simple to make. I cut up used paper grocery bags and taped them in the dining room.

                                                       
                                                       I added an owl just for fun!
Then I cut out some leaves. Every morning after breakfast, the kids picked at least one thing they were thankful for, and we taped the leaves to the tree. Then we prayed and thanked God for those blessings, then recited Psalm 118:1.
                                                                             
As the week went on, the things they were thankful for went from the "standards" to more creative things- napkins, a woodstove. It was great to see the wheels turning, to see them realizing that these things we take for granted are indeed blessings to be thankful for. As a mom of a toddler, I too, am very thankful for napkins!                                                    

                       By Thanksgiving our tree was full of bressin's, and our hearts were full of thankfulness.

 
Then it was time to start preparing for the big day. While I baked pies, the kids occupied themselves with their own "Thanksgiving dinner".         


                                                                 

                                  Luke got bored and decided he would help me make the pies.

                                                                           
                                              But he really just wanted to steal my apples!

Then, the night before Thanksgiving, the boys got sick with fevers and runny noses.Instead of going to Grammy's, she sent over some Thanksgiving "take-out".

As we sat down to eat, we realized just how much there was to be thankful for. The boys just had colds, and not a chronic illness. We had a loving family that sent us over food. There was pie and whipped cream and a toasty fire in the woodstove and each other.
                                                                    
Thanksgiving day might be over, but I want to continue cultivating those seeds of thankfulness all year.         

No comments:

Post a Comment