"I am beginning to suspect all elaborate and special systems of education. They seem to me to be built upon the supposition that every child is a kind of idiot who must be taught to think. Whereas, if the child is left to himself, he will think more and better, if less showily. Let him go and come freely, let him touch real things and combine his impressions for himself, instead of sitting indoors at a little round table, while a sweet-voiced teacher suggests that he build a stone wall with his wooden blocks, or make a rainbow out of strips of coloured paper, or plant straw trees in bead flower-pots. Such teaching fills the mind with artificial associations that must be got rid of, before the child can develop independent ideas out of actual experience." -- Anne Sullivan

Friday, March 18, 2011

Verse Folders

A week or so ago I wrote about some ideas for Scripture memory, so now I'll share the results.

We made "verse folders" using file folders. I have a huge pack I bought at BJ's for something else and now I'm trying to make good use of them. They're proving to be quite handy to have around.

First I printed out pages from http://www.homeschoolcreations.com/SparksAwanaVerses.html/.
I chose Ephesians 4:32 because there were some, um, "squabbles" that week. The kids cut them out and glued them in the folders. The pages were already colored so I let the kids decorate the folders.






                                                                            


                                                                                  
After that we put them into binders and wrote the reference on the tab, so they have their own "files".

                                                                      (this one is Caleb's)

I stapled a sandwich bag inside and put the verse scramble papers in it. At first I thought we would glue them on construction paper as a quiz at the end of the week, but by keeping them in the bag Gracie can review putting them in order again in the future.
The kids really enjoyed it and they both did really well learning the verse. Gracie has it memorized and was able to unscramble all the words.

                                     
Caleb learned it pretty well too!

                                    


But best of all, they took it to heart. A few days later I noticed Gracie being extra kind to Caleb. I was going to praise her, and before I could, she told me, "Mommy, I'm working hard at being kind". God's Word never returns void.

No comments:

Post a Comment