"I am beginning to suspect all elaborate and special systems of education. They seem to me to be built upon the supposition that every child is a kind of idiot who must be taught to think. Whereas, if the child is left to himself, he will think more and better, if less showily. Let him go and come freely, let him touch real things and combine his impressions for himself, instead of sitting indoors at a little round table, while a sweet-voiced teacher suggests that he build a stone wall with his wooden blocks, or make a rainbow out of strips of coloured paper, or plant straw trees in bead flower-pots. Such teaching fills the mind with artificial associations that must be got rid of, before the child can develop independent ideas out of actual experience." -- Anne Sullivan

Monday, May 23, 2011

Drop some A-bomb in your baby's mouth

Our rejection of traditional schooling as a family really has less to do with school itself and more to do with the machine running the school: the state. Call us crazy. Call us conspiracy theorists. Call us paranoid. We just don't appreciate big government telling us what to do, what to think, and especially...what to feed our kids.
So I was a little troubled the first week of kindergarten when Gracie brought home a permission slip to go to the nurse's office for weekly fluoride treatments. It just seemed very...Orwellian.

I've never given my kids fluoride. My mother fed me little pink tablets every morning at breakfast faithfully, starting when I was three years old. You know what? Almost every tooth in my head is filled. So when I had kids, it wasn't so much that I was opposed to fluoride; I just didn't think it worked. But when the doctors wanted to prescribe my baby drops containing the stuff to squirt in her mouth, it made me uneasy. Maybe it was the warning on the toothpaste label not to ingest fluoride? hmmm...I started researching it on my own, and everything I read confirmed my suspicion that I shouldn't feed this to my babies. But I'm just a dumb housewife, what do I know? At every well visit the doctors tell me I should get a prescription for Poly-Vi-Fluor, and every time I say no thanks. It's been like this for years, but they won't relent. One time I assured the doctor that even though I didn't give them fluoride, they still took multivitamins. "Well great!" the doctor snorted angrily, "but that's NOT going to help their teeth!"

Last week I took Luke to get routine bloodwork. To my surprise, the doctor called me the next day and said he was slightly anemic. His iron was off by one point. Ok, I thought, I can puree up some spinach and cook him eggs for breakfast... the nurse said they would prescribe him an iron supplement. I picked it up two days later.

Poly-Vi-Fluor with Iron.

Big Brother strikes again.

I told myself it was really no big deal. I took fluoride and I don't have cancer(yet). He's not going to die on the spot if I squirt some fluoride in his mouth.

I opened the package.

I looked at Luke.

I can't do it.

Call me crazy, but I can't squirt rat poison in my baby's mouth. Did you know fluoride is one of the main ingredients in rat poison? But don't worry, there's only a little rat poison in fluoride supplements. Stalin used fluoridated water to subdue prisoners and Hitler followed his example after he saw the mind-numbing effects it had on people. It was also the main ingredient in the atomic bomb. The government started marketing fluoride to the public as a cover-up to avoid pay outs for damages caused by fluoride during the making of the A-bomb. By making everyone believe it was beneficial, there was no case left against them. And what do you do with all the extra fluoride left over after making an A-bomb? Dump it in the water on military bases, of course! And so public water fluoridation was born.

Fluoride is a proven carcinogen, causes brain damage, bone damage, lower IQ, bone cancer in males, ironically- tooth damage- the list goes on. I know I should probably cite all kinds of sources here, but I'm lazy. Of course, all the sources I've read may not be true. I got a lot off the internet. They could all be fabrications of conspirators like myself. What makes me believe they are true? The FDA's track record.

Interestingly though, the American Dental Association has publicly announced that fluoride should not be given to infants under one.

I called Luke's doctors back and they were helpful. Even though I feel like they push it sometimes, I do like them. They do respect my decision and gave me some alternatives.

Here's a link you can read for yourself, recommended by me, the homeschooling-anti-fluoride-take-down-big-government-let's-go-shoot-some-guns-wacko:

http://www.fluoridealert.org/

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree! Scary stuff.
    I did find an awesome fluoride free toothpaste that we love, some of the natural ones are gross.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's crazy about the fluoride in school. I have read a lot of things you have mentioned about Public School and we have yet to experience any of what you have in Mays Landing, In fact the Kindergarten orientation, Mady's teacher went around and asked each student and parent what they preferred to be called and she wrote it down next her roster and they get called that name. We also have never experienced the fluoride in school either..Thats crazy!

    ReplyDelete