"I am beginning to suspect all elaborate and special systems of education. They seem to me to be built upon the supposition that every child is a kind of idiot who must be taught to think. Whereas, if the child is left to himself, he will think more and better, if less showily. Let him go and come freely, let him touch real things and combine his impressions for himself, instead of sitting indoors at a little round table, while a sweet-voiced teacher suggests that he build a stone wall with his wooden blocks, or make a rainbow out of strips of coloured paper, or plant straw trees in bead flower-pots. Such teaching fills the mind with artificial associations that must be got rid of, before the child can develop independent ideas out of actual experience." -- Anne Sullivan

Friday, June 17, 2011

Lessons from Dad

Sunday is Father's Day. Father's Day definitely doesn't get as much hype as Mother's Day, but I think it should. My parents divorced when I was a kid, my dad didn't bother visiting often, my mom got remarried and I only saw my biological dad once or twice after that. It's kind of a cliche now, but I have felt the effects of that my whole life, which is why I value and respect my husband being a good dad more than anything else he does.

When we first started homeschooling, I had hoped he would be more hands-on, maybe doing Bible lessons or science with Gracie. But that hasn't happened, because his work schedule won't allow it. He works hard and he works very long hours most of the time, so that we can continue having me stay home and teach the kids. He's not "homeschooling", but he's definitely doing his part. I couldn't homeschool my kids without him. I need him behind me, reassuring me I'm doing a good job, encouraging me when things aren't going as I hoped they would. Gracie needs him to ask her what she learned about at the end of the day. I need him to shell out the big bucks for curriculum...lol...


But what's amazing to me, is even though he works long all week, he still finds time to spend with the kids. He comes through the door after a 14 hour day with a smile on his face and an ear to bend to a very talkative 7 yr old. He's always busy, but never too busy. He's always tired, but never too tired. Sometimes I'm even a little jealous, because I feel like he gets to do all the fun stuff, while I'm doing the teaching and teeth brushing and make-sure-you wash-your-hands stuff. But I would rather it be that way. I want them to spend every minute they can enjoying their dad, making those memories, because I never got to. I see Gracie curl up on his lap with her little white arms wrapped around his brown neck or he and Caleb building a Lincoln Log town and I can handle the dishes -and even the litter box- by myself.

He's always going above and beyond for us. Once Gracie asked for a rocket ship to play with. The next few nights after work he spent building one out of paper mache. We wanted chickens, he built us a chicken coop nicer than most sheds.Gracie started piano, he lugged a piano in the house. He never misses a piano recital, and once he made it through an entire ballet performance waiting to see Gracie even after a 6'5"  black man twirled across the stage in his leotard. He gets in the kiddie pool and splashes with them and makes them balloon animals and plays board games and My Little Ponies. He gets up if they have nightmares and cleans throw up off the couch.

He may not be "homeschooling" them, but he teaches them a lot. About working hard, being responsible. About having a good attitude. About putting others before yourself, keeping your word. He teaches them what God's love is like, by demonstrating it every day. I might be teaching them numbers and letters, but the lessons he teaches them are more important than anything else they will ever learn.

                                                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment