"I am beginning to suspect all elaborate and special systems of education. They seem to me to be built upon the supposition that every child is a kind of idiot who must be taught to think. Whereas, if the child is left to himself, he will think more and better, if less showily. Let him go and come freely, let him touch real things and combine his impressions for himself, instead of sitting indoors at a little round table, while a sweet-voiced teacher suggests that he build a stone wall with his wooden blocks, or make a rainbow out of strips of coloured paper, or plant straw trees in bead flower-pots. Such teaching fills the mind with artificial associations that must be got rid of, before the child can develop independent ideas out of actual experience." -- Anne Sullivan

Thursday, July 28, 2011

True Grit

A few weeks ago I wrote a post about getting attacked by my rooster, who has since been named "Marshal Cogburn" by my husband. I disagree with the name, as I don't believe the rooster exemplifies True Grit, but anyway...

Things have been pretty quiet on the rooster front and I have not been having panic attacks since I started wearing jeans and sneakers instead of shorts and flipflops to the coop. I have also started packing heat when I go out there. Well, I have been carrying a plastic t-ball bat, but it gets the job done.

So this morning my parents were visiting and I headed out to the coop, yellow Little Tykes bat in hand. I let the chickens out, and the hens, who have pretty red combs now and are laying four eggs a day, ran to greet me. The rooster ran too, but not to be friendly. I tried to look non-threatening and walked slowly toward the house, but he matched my pace. We were neck in neck for a minute or two, and then he struck. It was classic Cogburn, talons outstretched, wings flapping. But this time, I was ready. I swung Little Tyke at him and thunked him in the side. Undeterred, he lunged again, and this time I brought the bat down square on his head. He ran away, bawking.

Victory!

But then, he started making this unearthly bawking-gobble sound and flapping his wings. He stumbled sideways and fell over in the grass, dead as a doornail, his neck extended and legs sticking up in the air. My face flushed hot and my hands started shaking. I killed him! I didn't mean to KILL him! I just don't want to get scratched! The hens ran over and looked at him, curiously. I put my hand over my mouth and ran to the house. Once inside, I leaned my back against the door and sunk to the floor. What would I tell the kids? What would they think of me, now that I was a murderer? "It's ok", I told myself, "you had no choice. It was self-defense" I went into the dining room, where they were playing with my mom. "Hey guys, " I said softly. "I...I accidentally killed the rooster." They looked indifferent. "Oh good," Gracie shrugged. "Now he can't scratch us." I sat down at the table, still shaken. "I've never killed anything before," I told my mom. "I really didn't mean to. But he was coming after me, and I just wanted to stop him..." as I sat, staring out the window, the rooster's head poked up out of the grass. A second later, he was back on his feet. "IT'S A MIRACLE!!!" Gracie shrieked,  "HE'S RAISED FROM THE DEAD!"

I watched the rooster shake himself, then walk around in circles for a few minutes. He finally regained his composure and made his way to the woods to rejoin the hens. "Well look at that," I said, "I guess he really does have True Grit."

                                                                             

1 comment:

  1. Well, maybe the two of you will have a mutual respect now. Respect that comes from knowing what each of you is made of, but agreeing to just let each other be and live in harmony...let me know if that's how things work.

    Love the homeschooling diaries! Miss you all, and want to make a plan to get together even before I'm back in the States.

    ReplyDelete